NIA gets top IM operatives` custody for Hyderabad blast probe
New Delhi: A court here Friday handed over the custody of top Indian Mujahideen suspects Tehsin Akhtar alias Monu and Pakistani national Waqas alias Zia-ur-Rehman to the NIA team conducting a probe in 2013 blasts in Hyderabad`s Dilsukhnagar.
According to sources, National Investigation Agency (NIA) Special Judge I.S. Mehta allowed the investigating agency`s plea seeking three days` transit remand of the duo in connection with 2013 blasts in Dilsukhnagar of Hyderabad.
"Both the accused are allowed to be taken to NIA special court, Nampally, Hyderabad, and both accused persons are given on three days` transit remand to NIA, Hyderabad, and hee is directed to produce them before the said court and thereafter he is further directed to produce both the accused persons before this court after completion of investigation...," the court said.
Defence counsel Akram Khan opposed the plea, saying there was no evidence to connect Tehsin and Waqas with the Dilsukhnagar blasts case and alleged that the investigating agency was trying to create evidence against the accused by forcing them to make confessional statements.
Waqas, arrested in March, is allegedly involved in several terror attacks, including the serial blasts in Mumbai in July 2011. Tehsin was arrested by Delhi Police after Waqas`s arrest.
Tehsin, the outlawed Indian Mujahideen`s current chief of Indian operations, is an expert in bomb-making.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report