NIA registers murder case against Italian marines
New Delhi: NIA has registered a murder case against two Italian marines for allegedly killing two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast last year.
The Home Ministry had handed over the case to National Investigation Agency through an order last evening. The NIA submitted the FIR before the Special NIA court today.
NIA has booked the marines--Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone--under sections 302 (Murder), 307 (Attempt to murder), 427 (mischief) along with section 34 (Common intent) of IPC.
The NIA also booked them under the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act, 2002.
The law deals with cargo ships, maritime navigational facilities whose personnel indulge in offences committed in sea. The maximum penalty in this section is death in case the action by those onboard has resulted in killing.
The agency has alleged fishermen Jelastin and Pinku were shot dead by the two the two marines onboard `Enrica Lexie`--an Italian ship, 31 Nautical miles from North-West of Neendakara Costal Police Station, in Arabian Sea on February 15, 2012.
The Home Ministry had handed over the case to NIA after the Supreme Court ruled that the Kerala government has no jurisdiction to prosecute the marines.
NIA will investigate the case from the beginning and file the charge sheet in a NIA special court or any other special court to be set up by the government in consultation with the apex court, Home Ministry sources said.
The apex court on January 18 had said that the marines be shifted to Delhi and be under its `custody` till the Centre constitutes a special court to hold their trial.
"The incident of firing from the Italian vessel on the Indian shipping vessel having occurred within the Contiguous Zone, the Union of India is entitled to prosecute the two Italian marines under the criminal justice system prevalent in the country," the bench had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror