NIA releases two sketches of a suspect in Bodh Gaya blasts
Bodh Gaya/New Delhi: Two sketches of a suspect in a monk`s robe in the Bodh Gaya serial blasts were released today by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) which struggled for a breakthrough in its probe nine days after the terror attack.
Sources in the NIA said the sketches--the first to be released in the probe--were made public on the basis of details provided by three eyewitnesses who apparently saw the suspect shortly before the blasts on July 7 and also material emanating from CCTV footage.
The two sketches, one in which the suspect is wearing a green mask and another bare face, were posted by the NIA on its website.
The sources said the suspect in monk attire was seen in the CCTV footage moving around Buddhism`s holiest shrine in suspicious circumstances at around 3:30 AM to 4:30 AM shortly before the blasts.
NIA also released the CCTV footage and sought information about the suspect.
Senior NIA officials said attempts made to locate this person have not yielded any result so far prompting the central probe agency to release the sketch.
NIA sources said the CCTV footage was being refined further to get a clearer image of the suspect.
Among the three eyewitnesses, whose names have been kept secret for probe purposes, two are foreigners and one local. The foreigners are from Sri Lanka and Thailand while the third one is a local Gaya native, the sources said.
The services of the private security company within the temple premises, meanwhile, has been terminated after the Maha Bodhi Temple Management Committee took strong note of security lapses that resulted in the serial bomb blasts.
Ten bombs went off in and around Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya on July 7 in near synchronised explosions in which two monks were wounded.
NIA had earlier detained two natives of Gaya from Maoist-infested Barachhati and four youngsters, including a girl, in Patna in connection with the incident.
But, they were all released for want of evidence.
The agency has already announced a reward of Rs 6 lakh for providing information about suspects in the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'