NIA still to get MHA notification withdrawing SUA for marines
New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is waiting for a fresh notification from the Union Home Ministry about withdrawal of sanction to prosecute two Italian Marines under the contentious Suppression of Unlawful Acts (SUA).
NIA sources said while the agency would be abiding by the government`s decision, it was wrong on the part of the Italian counsel to claim the crime did not fall under the purview of the NIA act.
The sources said while the agency was entitled to investigate and prosecute people for scheduled offences like that of terrorism and related crimes, there was no bar on it to prosecute anyone under Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The sources said the probe in the Italian marines case had ended after which a charge sheet was readied against the two Italian marines under SUA and other IPC Acts.
The sources said it had received sanction under SUA and there was no fresh notification from the Centre to withdraw the same so far.
After on Monday`s development in the Supreme Court where the Centre said it would not prosecute the two Italian marines under SUA, the Home Ministry may issue a fresh notification withdrawing the earlier sanction.
There was a talk in the ministry that the case may be handed over to CBI but there was no confirmation of this so far.
Accused marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were on board Italian vessel Enrica Lexie and now lodged in Italian Embassy premises in New Delhi, allegedly shot dead two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012.
NIA completed its probe after questioning four Italian marines, who were witness to the incident, through video conferencing after their refusal to come to India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack