NIA takes over probe into J&K hawala case linked to separatists
New Delhi: The NIA has taken over the probe
into the hawala case of Jammu and Kashmir in which a close
aide of pro-Pakistan separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani
was arrested in January.
The decision was taken by the Union Home Ministry as the
ring involved in alleged hawala dealings was spreading it
network to various other states and neighbouring countries
too, sources said.
Geelani`s close aide Ghulam Mohammed Bhat was arrested
under Unlawful Activities (Preventive) Act from the Valley in
January and Delhi Police and Jammu and Kashmir Police
allegedly recovered Rs 21 lakh from him which was supposed to
have been meant for distribution to separatist leaders in the
After his arrest, he was brought to Delhi where he was
questioned by sleuths belonging to various agencies.
During his interrogation, Bhat is alleged to have told
the police that he had passed money to several separatist
leaders following which Delhi Police swung into action and
handed over a one-line notice to Geelani asking him not to
leave the city until he appeared in the police station
concerned for questioning.
Delhi Police had later summoned and questioned Geelani
and recorded his statement.
Bhat was already facing five cases including running a
hawala racket. He was earlier arrested in 2008 in Udhampur
district while returning to the Valley with alleged hawala
money of Rs 55 lakh concealed in a gas cylinder.
Two other persons--one from Kupwara and another from
Sopore in north Kashmir--were also arrested in this case, the
sources said, adding more arrests were likely after Bhat`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees