NIA to compare Samjhauta blast forensic evidence
Panchkula: A local court on Tuesday allowed the NIA to compare next week forensic evidence
collected in Samjhauta Express train blast case with that of
bomb attacks in Malegaon, Hyderabad and Ajmer, in which the
role of right-wing Hindu extremists is suspected.
Following a High Court direction, District and Sessions
Judge Subhash Mehla, hearing charges against Swami Assemanand
and four other accused in the 2007 Samjhauta case, said
forensic experts from National Investigation Agency (NIA) can
study the sealed material on September 20-21.
The judge adjourned the case till October 10, when
arguments on the charges will be taken up.
Since the proceedings in the case were in-camera, defence
counsel Manveer Rathi later told reporters outside the court
that forensic experts will come here next week for comparison
of material at Sector 5 police lines.
He said the court has allowed him to remain present at the
time of scrutiny.
Chandigarh-based senior advocate R K Handa, who was
recently appointed Special Public Prosecutor of the NIA in the
Samjhauta case, made his first appearance before the court
Earlier this month, Punjab and Haryana High Court had
dismissed a petition filed by Aseemanand challenging orders of
NIA special judge, Panchkula permitting the agency to unseal
the seized material in Samjhauta blast case in the presence of
counsel for the accused for comparison.
The High Court had also issued directions to the NIA court
here to again fix the dates for the exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed