NIA to file chargesheet against two Italian marines soon
New Delhi: NIA will file a chargesheet against two Italian marines, accused of killing two Kerala fishermen, after getting sanction to prosecute them under a law which provides only death penalty.
However, the charge sheet is unlikely before February 3 by when the Centre has told the Supreme Court that it will resolve all disputes with the Italian government arising out of invoking the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act (SUA) against the two marines, official sources said.
The Home Ministry had given sanction to NIA to prosecute the marines under SUA last week.
Accused Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were on board Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` and now lodged in Italian Embassy premises here, allegedly shot dead the two fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012.
NIA completed its probe after questioning four Italian marines, who were witness to the incident, through video conferencing after their refusal to come to India.
The Supreme Court had shifted the case to Delhi, saying the Kerala Police had no jurisdiction over it and backed the government`s decision to hand over the case to NIA.
The Italian government has already challenging before the Supreme Court invoking of anti-terrorism law SUA, saying it is against the order of the apex court which allowed proceedings only under the Maritime Zone Act, IPC, CrPC and UNCLOS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Finance Ministry recommends CBI probe into 80 kg of missing gold from IGI Airport
- Hotel rooms are so mainstream! Rent a vacation home this time
- Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario completes record EUR 45-million move to Inter Milan
- Top seven cos take cumulative hit of Rs 29,907 cr in m-cap
- I don't believe in relationship goals: Esha Gupta