close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

NIA to take over German bakery case

Sources say the case will be taken over by NIA along with Jama Masjid blast and Varanasi blast.



New Delhi: In what could be an embarrassment
for Maharashtra police`s elite ATS, the Centre is set to take
over the German bakery case in which the ATS had filed a
chargesheet and arrested a person.

Terming the German bakery case as "unresolved", top
Government sources said on Tuesday that this will be taken over
by the National Investigation Agency(NIA) along with other
cases relating to the blast near Jama Masjid, barely days
ahead of 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, and the Varanasi blast
in December last.

"The NIA will take over the three cases soon," a Home
Ministry official said.

The Centre`s move could leave the ATS Mumbai red
faced since it claimed in its chargesheet that the German
Bakery case had been solved and that it was carried out by one
Mirza Himayat Beigh and some others belonging to
Lashker-e-Taiba(LeT) and Indian Mujahideen.

However, there were holes in the ATS claims from day
one as several witnesses were ready to appear before the court
to say that Beigh had been detained much ahead of his actual
arrest shown on December four, 2010 and that there was
allegedly no clarity in the claims of the police.

Even the Home Ministry officials did not seem to be
much enthused with the findings of ATS as Lashker and Indian
Mujahideen seemed to be operating at cross purpose.

Seventeen people, including foreigners, were killed in a
powerful blast in Pune`s German Bakery on February 13, 2010.

The NIA Act empowers the Centre to unilaterally hand
over any terror case to the agency and does not require the
state government`s consent.

One child was killed and 37 others were injured in a
blast that took place between the Dashashwamedh and Shitla
ghats during Ganga `arti` on December 7, 2010. The Indian
Mujahideen had claimed responsibility for the terror strike,
which was carried out a day after the 18th anniversary of
Babri Masjid demolition.

Two men on a motorbike fired several rounds on a tourist
vehicle near Delhi`s historic Jama Masjid injuring two
Taiwanese nationals on September 19,2010, days ahead of the
Commonwealth Games held here. The Indian Mujahideen again had
claimed responsibility for the strike.

PTI

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video

DNA EXCLUSIVES

Barcelona terror attacks: Weak Islamic State resorting to desperate measures?

Breaking the siege mentality

The threat of ‘odd hours’ looms large over Indian women

DNA Edit | In NIA Crosshairs: Love jihad and the terror trail

Blue Whale Challenge: Government has failed to rein in the online suicide game