NIA tortured me, claims Bhatkal; Court seeks report from Tihar
New Delhi: Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal on Thursday claimed before a special court that he was "severely tortured" in NIA custody and kept in "solitary confinement" in Tihar Jail without proper food and treatment though he was suffering from stomach ailment.
District Judge I S Mehta directed Tihar Jail authorities to file a report in this matter and provide all facilities to Bhatkal as per rules.
In his application, Bhatkal alleged that he was being treated "worse than an animal" inside the Tihar Jail, where he is presently lodged in judicial custody, and was denied access to fresh air and sunlight.
Advocate MS Khan, appearing for Bhatkal, told the court that his client was not provided proper food and treatment in the jail and was suffering from stomach ailments.
"During the police custody remand of NIA, the applicant has been severely tortured with scientific technology and he has not yet overcome from the shock of torture...," the plea said.
It further said, "since the day of his (Bhatkal`s) arrest i.E. For about eight months, the applicant has been kept in solitary confinement and has not seen sunlight except during his transportation for the purpose of investigation and production before the court."
Khan told the judge that now Bhatkal feels dizzy when he is exposed to sunlight and he has not being provided any treatment for his stomach ailment in the jail despite telling the prison authorities about it.
The court, after going through the application, directed the Tihar Jail authorities to file a report in this matter.
"The copy of the same (plea) be sent to Superintendent Central Jail, Tihar for necessary report and in the meanwhile, superintendent Tihar is directed to provide all the facilities to this accused as per rule available to the inmates," it said and fixed the matter for May 29.
Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar, along with some other suspected IM members, were produced before the court in connection with a case of alleged conspiracy to carry out terror acts in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'