NIB issue to be raised with PM: Jayanti
New Delhi: Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan, who has raised objections to Government`s plan to set up a National Investment Board, on Monday said she will speak to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh about her reservations as she wants to "protect the interest of environment”.
Days after she wrote to Prime Minister objecting to NIB, which would be empowered to give speedy clearances to mega projects bypassing various ministries, Natarajan refused to elaborate on the issue to a volley of questions from reporters.
"We will speak to the Prime Minister about the reservations we have on the issue. Whatever I have to say, I will say it in the Cabinet... To the Prime Minister," she said.
"But I will protect the interest of the environment," the minister said.
In her letter to Prime Minister, Natarajan has said the manner in which changes have been sought on the issue of granting project approvals was disturbing and she wondered why NIB should step in when decisions like green clearances have to be given by her ministry.
She also said the NIB has no constitutional authority and that the proposal will decimate the role of the Environment Ministry.
Concerned over delay in implementation of mega infrastructure projects, Finance Minister P Chidambaram had recently proposed a prime minister-headed NIB to accord speedy clearance to big ticket projects.
The Indian industry as well as several union ministries have repeatedly complained that environmental laws and clearances are becoming an impediment in country`s growth story.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli