Nido Taniam`s death: Govt forms panel to address concerns of people from Northeast
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: In the wake of death of Arunachal boy Nido Taniam here, the Central government on Thursday set up a committee to look into the issues raised by people from the Northeast.
The main task of the six-member committee will be to suggest suitable remedial measures to address concerns regarding security of people from the country`s northeastern region.
The committee will be headed by retired IAS officer MP Bezbaruah.
The government has instructed the panel to submit its report within two months.
The announcement came shortly after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi held talks with Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and MPs from the Northeast. The focus of that meeting was to discuss steps to prevent atrocities against people from that region.
Nido died in the capital on Thursday last week, a day after he was beaten up in a Lajpat Nagar market in Delhi by a group of men following an altercation over his hairstyle.
Police have been accused of lapses in the case, pre and prior to Nido`s death.
Nido was the son of an MLA from Arunachal Pradesh, and was in Delhi to visit his sister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!