Nido Taniam`s death: Murder charge slapped on four men
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday told a court here that they have slapped the charge of murder against the four persons, one of whom was arrested this morning, in connection with the death of a 19-year-old Arunachal Pradesh youth.
The police informed Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Kumar that they booked accused Farman, Sunder, Pawan and Sunny Uppal under section 302 (murder) of IPC after the postmortem report revealed that Nido Tania died due to injuries to his head and face caused by a blunt object.
Thereafter, the police moved an application for their fresh custody and quiz them for some time after the court`s permission.
The accused were once again produced before the magistrate, who remanded the four to judicial custody till February 25, after the police did not seek their custodial interrogation.
Sunny was arrested this morning while Farman, Sunder and Pawan were arrested on February 4 and produced before the court which had remanded them to judicial custody.
Initially, the police had arrested the accused under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST)(Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
The accused were arrested after relatives of Nido, a BA first year student in a private university, alleged he had an altercation with the shopkeepers at Lajpat Nagar here on January 29 after they made fun of his hairstyle, following which they allegedly thrashed him. He was brought dead in AIIMS the next day.
In a related development, the court of Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri today adjourned hearing on the bail plea of Sunder and Pawan till February 14 after their counsel requested for the same.
The duo`s counsel had claimed before the court that the accused are innocent and have been falsely implicated.
"Accused Sunder and Pawan are the persons who had called the police after seeing the incident. The police have arrested them when they went to inform them about the assault," their counsel said, adding they have been arrested wrongly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal