Nido Taniam`s death: Murder charge slapped on four men
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday told a court here that they have slapped the charge of murder against the four persons, one of whom was arrested this morning, in connection with the death of a 19-year-old Arunachal Pradesh youth.
The police informed Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Kumar that they booked accused Farman, Sunder, Pawan and Sunny Uppal under section 302 (murder) of IPC after the postmortem report revealed that Nido Tania died due to injuries to his head and face caused by a blunt object.
Thereafter, the police moved an application for their fresh custody and quiz them for some time after the court`s permission.
The accused were once again produced before the magistrate, who remanded the four to judicial custody till February 25, after the police did not seek their custodial interrogation.
Sunny was arrested this morning while Farman, Sunder and Pawan were arrested on February 4 and produced before the court which had remanded them to judicial custody.
Initially, the police had arrested the accused under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST)(Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
The accused were arrested after relatives of Nido, a BA first year student in a private university, alleged he had an altercation with the shopkeepers at Lajpat Nagar here on January 29 after they made fun of his hairstyle, following which they allegedly thrashed him. He was brought dead in AIIMS the next day.
In a related development, the court of Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri today adjourned hearing on the bail plea of Sunder and Pawan till February 14 after their counsel requested for the same.
The duo`s counsel had claimed before the court that the accused are innocent and have been falsely implicated.
"Accused Sunder and Pawan are the persons who had called the police after seeing the incident. The police have arrested them when they went to inform them about the assault," their counsel said, adding they have been arrested wrongly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India