Nigerian held at airport for not declaring USD
Mumbai: A Nigerian was arrested from Mumbai international airport for allegedly not declaring that he was carrying USD 80,000 with him, a customs official said today.
As per rule, passengers carrying above USD 5,000 have to give declaration before the authorities.
The man, identified as Bello Almou, was frisked on Thursday after he passed through the green channel at the Chhattrapati Shivaji Terminus airport, the official said.
A passenger faces arrest or detention if he or she passes through the green channel with undeclared goods or currency.
Almou had landed at the airport on an Emirates flight from Nigeria via Dubai.
"After checking his luggage, USD 80,000 (Rs 43.32 lakh) were found. Almou was subsequently arrested for not declaring the US dollars," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan