Nigerian held at airport for not declaring USD
Mumbai: A Nigerian was arrested from Mumbai international airport for allegedly not declaring that he was carrying USD 80,000 with him, a customs official said today.
As per rule, passengers carrying above USD 5,000 have to give declaration before the authorities.
The man, identified as Bello Almou, was frisked on Thursday after he passed through the green channel at the Chhattrapati Shivaji Terminus airport, the official said.
A passenger faces arrest or detention if he or she passes through the green channel with undeclared goods or currency.
Almou had landed at the airport on an Emirates flight from Nigeria via Dubai.
"After checking his luggage, USD 80,000 (Rs 43.32 lakh) were found. Almou was subsequently arrested for not declaring the US dollars," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says