Nigerian held at airport for not declaring USD
Mumbai: A Nigerian was arrested from Mumbai international airport for allegedly not declaring that he was carrying USD 80,000 with him, a customs official said today.
As per rule, passengers carrying above USD 5,000 have to give declaration before the authorities.
The man, identified as Bello Almou, was frisked on Thursday after he passed through the green channel at the Chhattrapati Shivaji Terminus airport, the official said.
A passenger faces arrest or detention if he or she passes through the green channel with undeclared goods or currency.
Almou had landed at the airport on an Emirates flight from Nigeria via Dubai.
"After checking his luggage, USD 80,000 (Rs 43.32 lakh) were found. Almou was subsequently arrested for not declaring the US dollars," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional