Nikam expects "what everybody expects" for Kasab
Thane: In a guarded but clever response to a question, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam on Saturday refrained from predicting the verdict in Ajmal Kasab case, but said he was expecting what everybody else was expecting.
"I too expect what you all expect", Nikam said here when asked what would be the outcome of the case.
He was talking to reporters after accepting `Maratha Samaj Ratna` award here.
Bombay High Court will deliver the judgment in 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case on Monday, February 21.
"Monday will be the most important day in my life," he added.
Nikam said that the High Court would decide on three aspects: Confirmation of the death sentence given to Kasab,Kasab`s appeal, and state`s appeal against acquittal of two other accused by the trial court.
In his award-acceptance speech, Nikam said that for tackling terrorism, some hurdles in the Extradition Act should be removed, so that criminals hiding overseas can be brought to book.
Nikam received the award, and a citation, at the hands of Deputy Chairman of the State Legislative Council, Vasant Davkhare.
On a personal note, Nikam said that he never wanted to join the legal profession, but his father was keen that he became a lawyer.
"I liked only science... I also used to write poetry," the high-profile public prosecutor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda