Nikam hails death to Yakub Memon, wants US action against brother
Mumbai: Ujjwal Nikam, the Special Public Prosecutor in the 1993 blasts case, on Thursday hailed Supreme Court`s verdict upholding death sentence to Yakub Memon, brother of absconding accused Tiger Memon, believed to be hiding in Pakistan.
"I am very happy that death sentence to Yakub has been upheld by the Supreme Court. The death sentence awarded to Yakub should result in bringing pressure on Pakistan, which will find it difficult to shelter Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim any more," Nikam told reporters after the verdict.
Nikam said it was unfortunate that Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim, who along with Yakub, hatched the conspiracy for the blasts in Dubai, were taking shelter in Pakistan.
"I want the US government to take stringent steps now. Upholding of death sentence to Yakub should pave the way for dangerous terrorists like Tiger Memon to be forced out of Pakistan to face legal process in India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa