Nikam hails death to Yakub Memon, wants US action against brother
Mumbai: Ujjwal Nikam, the Special Public Prosecutor in the 1993 blasts case, on Thursday hailed Supreme Court`s verdict upholding death sentence to Yakub Memon, brother of absconding accused Tiger Memon, believed to be hiding in Pakistan.
"I am very happy that death sentence to Yakub has been upheld by the Supreme Court. The death sentence awarded to Yakub should result in bringing pressure on Pakistan, which will find it difficult to shelter Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim any more," Nikam told reporters after the verdict.
Nikam said it was unfortunate that Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim, who along with Yakub, hatched the conspiracy for the blasts in Dubai, were taking shelter in Pakistan.
"I want the US government to take stringent steps now. Upholding of death sentence to Yakub should pave the way for dangerous terrorists like Tiger Memon to be forced out of Pakistan to face legal process in India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional