Nikam is prosecuter in trial of Dera Sacha Sauda men
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has
appointed prominent criminal lawyer Ujjwal Nikam as Special
Public Prosecutor in the trial of bodyguards of Dera Sacha
Sauda chief Baba Ram Rahim Singh charged with killing a member
of the Sikh Community in a scuffle here in June 2008.
The government appointed Nikam, also special PP in
the Mumbai serial blast case and the 26/11 terror attack case,
to lead the prosecution on the request of Sri Guru Singh
Sabha, officials told PTI.
The case, being heard by a fast track Court in Sewri,
would come up for hearing tomorrow.
Police have filed chargesheet against 12 persons,
including bodyguards of Baba Ram Rahim. Three accused
are in custody while others have been granted bail.
Sikhs had protested against the killing of Balkar Singh
by the bodyguards of the Dera chief on June 25, 2008.
The incident occurred when the Dera chief had gone to
visit Nirmal shopping complex in Mulund, where members of the
Sikh community were also present.
An altercation had broken
out between the two groups, followed by an exchange of fire.
The Sikhs had protested against the Dera chief`s presence and
thrown stones at him, prompting his security guards to open
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional