Nikam is prosecuter in trial of Dera Sacha Sauda men
Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has
appointed prominent criminal lawyer Ujjwal Nikam as Special
Public Prosecutor in the trial of bodyguards of Dera Sacha
Sauda chief Baba Ram Rahim Singh charged with killing a member
of the Sikh Community in a scuffle here in June 2008.
The government appointed Nikam, also special PP in
the Mumbai serial blast case and the 26/11 terror attack case,
to lead the prosecution on the request of Sri Guru Singh
Sabha, officials told PTI.
The case, being heard by a fast track Court in Sewri,
would come up for hearing tomorrow.
Police have filed chargesheet against 12 persons,
including bodyguards of Baba Ram Rahim. Three accused
are in custody while others have been granted bail.
Sikhs had protested against the killing of Balkar Singh
by the bodyguards of the Dera chief on June 25, 2008.
The incident occurred when the Dera chief had gone to
visit Nirmal shopping complex in Mulund, where members of the
Sikh community were also present.
An altercation had broken
out between the two groups, followed by an exchange of fire.
The Sikhs had protested against the Dera chief`s presence and
thrown stones at him, prompting his security guards to open
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi