Nikam says Centre pressurised me in 26/11 case; denies later

Last Updated: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 00:28

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam has recently stated that one the then ‘Central’ ministers asked him to file a different chargesheet in the case ahead of general elections. He, however, denied to have ever made this remark.

During a recent seminar in Latur, Nikam was shown making the statement in Marathi saying, “I was called by a Central minister of that time. I was told that to file 12 different chargesheet. If the final verdict in the CST firing case comes in three months it will help us in the elections.”

Notably, Congress led UPA government was ruling at the Centre when the ghastly terrorist strike occurred in Mumbai on November 26 last year which claimed around 180 lives.

Nikam, when contacted by Zee News, defended himself accusing the electronic media of “misrepresenting” his statement.

The suggestion was made looking into the "bad experience"
of filing a single chargesheet in the 1993 Bomb Blast cases
which took 14 years to deliver the justice, he was later quoted by a news agency.

"But I convinced the authorities that it would be more
prudent to club all charges and file a single chargesheet in
the trial. My suggestion was accepted and there was no
pressure on us," Nikam clarified.

While condemning the statement, Shiv Sena spokesperson Bharata Rao, has asked Nikam to come out with the name of the minister. “We condemn it. He should have divulged the Central minister’s name.”

According to a section of regional television channels, Nikam reportedly said in Latur Saturday that "a former Central Cabinet minister" had built up pressure on him and the police in the 26/11 trial so as to exploit the issue to the party`s advantage in the last Lok Sabha elections, held in April-May this year.

Nikam was also credited with saying that the unidentified former Central Minister even advised the police and the SPP to file a dozen independent charge sheets in the cases against the lone Pakistani terror accused, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab.

"I shall speak with the concerned television channels. This is absolute nonsense," fumed Nikam. Later, his denial was telecast. He even claimed that his comments in a speech were telecast in a "pick and choose" manner.

While Nikam denied the statements attributed to him, state Leader of Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party`s Eknath Khadse and Hussain Dalwai of the Congress demanded that he should reveal the name of the minister.

Shiv Sena spokesman and Rajya Sabha member Sanjay Raut said that if what Nikam reportedly said is true, then all political parties must take it up seriously.

IANS inputs



First Published: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 00:28

comments powered by Disqus