Nilekani asks researchers to help UIAI solve challenges
Bangalore: Chairman of the Unique
Identification Authority of India Nandan Nilekani today sought
the help of researchers in solving the "massive computational
challenges and problems" in the implementation of the UIAI
"There is no way we can do this alone. We are going to
need help from all of you (researchers)", he said launching a
computer science community portal ResearchAndYou.com of
Microsoft Research India at its annual research symposium
"TechVista 2010" and fifth year celebrations here.
Nilekani said the project`s idea is to give a unique
identification to over a billion Indians.
There will be a thousand challenges to the research
community as it will be the biggest biometric data base that
has ever been made, he said.
Listing out the project`s advantages, he said it would
help in bridging the digital divide and also help ensure that
public spending is really delivered to the right people.
Nilekani said there are quite a few tasks ahead which
include creation of a big data depository and adoption of
Unique Identification. The project, he said, aims to provide
online authentication of identity.
UIAI`s technology group is in Bangalore, he said adding
"we intend to float a request for proposal by next week". A
`proof of concept` will be shown in two to three states in the
The first set of UID`s will be rolled out between August
2010 and February 2011,he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark