Nine Left parties hold protests on corruption
New Delhi: Demanding a strong Lokpal bill against corruption, nine `non-NDA` opposition parties including the Left, TDP and Rashtriya Lok Dal Tuesday staged a
protest at the main gate of Parliament.
"Nine parties have launched a country-wide agitation. We want the government to come forward with a strong Lokpal bill," CPI leader D Raja told reporters here.
Holding placards, leaders of the four Left parties along with leaders of RLD, TDP, JD (Secular), AIADMK and BJD including former Prime Minister H D Devegowda, Sitaram Yechury
(CPM), Ajit Singh (RLD) and Nama Nageshwar Rao (TDP) raised slogans in support of their demand here.
"Government Lokpal Bill is not effective and we need an effective Lokpal. The Parliamentary process is on and it has been referred to the Standing Committee. All the nine parties
will take up this issue through Parliamentary procedures as well as popular protest outside for an effective Lokpal," Yechury said.
On the statements made by the Prime Minister on the Lokpal issue, he said, "The Prime Minister is making all sorts of statements outside. The session is on and things should not
be said outside. I think this is undermining the supremacy of Parliament and that can`t be allowed."
"It is for the Prime Minister to come out and say what he thinks here. Whatever the Prime Minister and other Ministers are saying should be said officially in Parliament
so that we can have a debate here," he said.
Meanwhile, Om Prakash Yadav, an independent MP from Siwan, sat on a dharna near Mahatma Gandhi`s statue inside Parliament House complex in support of Hazare`s Jan Lokpal
The MP, who is supporting the Government, said he will discuss the issue with the people in his constituency and he may also consider withdrawing his support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception