Ninth E-9 ministerial meeting today in Delhi
New Delhi: India in association with UNESCO will host the ninth E-9 ministerial review meeting on inclusive, relevant and quality education here on Friday.
The E-9 countries will chalk out an action plan to further relevant quality education in the respective countries which will be followed up in the next two years, a government statement said.
The meet will be inaugurated by Minister of State for HRD Shashi Tharoor and attended by education ministers of Pakistan, India, China (Vice-Minister) and Nigeria. They will adopt a joint outcome document at the close of the meeting.
India will assume the chair of the E-9 Secretariat from 2012-14.
`E` stands for education and `9` represents the nine highly populated countries -- Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Nigeria and Pakistan.
Given that these countries are home to not only more than 60 per cent of the global population, but also to more than 70 per cent of the world`s adult illiterates, about two-thirds of whom are women and girls, any significant progress made in these countries immediately would have positive impact on EFA (Education For All).
Therefore, it was decided to prioritise a group of highly populated countries for the attainment of EFA.
Launched here in 1993, the initiative has become a forum for these nine countries to discuss their experiences related to education, exchange best practices and monitor EFA-related progress. It has also become a powerful driver for EFA and South-South Cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe
- 4,500 people rescued in Mediterranean: Italy coastguard
- Vijender Singh out of Olympic contention, wishes best for Vikas Krishan