Nirad`s hand in Sarat`s arrest, is a `fib`: Author`s son
Faridabad (UP): The latest claim by some of Netaji`s descendants that renowned writer Nirad C Chaudhuri had a role in the arrest of Sarat Chandra Bose, Subhas Chandra Bose`s elder brother, has been rubbished by the author`s son Dhruva N Chaudhuri.
Commenting on the recent claims of Chandra Kumar Bose and his sister Madhuri Bose, the siblings of Sarat Bose`s son Amiya Nath Bose, that Nirad had associations with the British intelligence in the run-up to Sarat`s arrest on December 11, 1941, Chaudhuri told a news agency that "I don`t know why this issue has been raked up. I have a feeling and it is my conjecture that they did it against the running of Netaji Research Bureau in Kolkata and to get political mileage as a grand-nephew of Netaji, since Chandra Bose is a member of Forward Bloc. This is purely to get political mileage".
Contesting Chandra Bose`s statement that the CBI has a file on Nirad C Chaudhuri, DN Chaudhuri asks, "How does he know that there is a file on my father with the CBI? Does he have any proof? Everything he says is based on hearsay.”
"There may be file, my father was an ardent nationalist and Gandhian and the British used to have files on everybody who had such inclinations and probably it came to light when he was being confirmed with the All India Radio (AIR). But, without seeing it, how can anyone bring such allegations?"
"There is no harm in bringing the facts out. But saying that my father was passing on information about Sarat Bose to the British, that he was traitor, that he had quit his job as Sarat Bose`s secretary a day before Bose`s arrest on December 11, 1941, are personal attacks. He (Chandra Bose) has to withdraw his words. Whatever my father did are all well documented in his own books as well as his memoirs".
Chaudhary said Nirad C Chaudhuri used to broadcast from AIR since early 1937 and when he was appointed as secretary to Sarat Bose, his father had asked Sarat if he had any problem with that. Sarat Bose had no issues, he said.
During the war years, Nirad used to broadcast pro-British commentaries from AIR-Calcutta. Complaints poured in to Sarat and Subhas Bose about him and his role as Sarat`s personal secretary. But the Bose brothers had said that those were his own views and had no connection with their work.
Chaudhary said Nirad continued with his job with Sarat and that Subhas Bose had anything against my father is an "absolute fib".
"Netaji had himself forwarded a signed note to him by his first name on January 16, 1941. If Netaji had hated father and never believed him, why was he corresponding with him and entrusting him with sensitive documents?" he said.
"Bose brothers had nothing against my father. They knew my father`s weakness of the British. But they were fully sure about his loyalty to them," said Chaudhuri.
Citing his father`s writing from `Thy Hand, Great Anarch!` the 1987 autobiographical sequel of Nirad C Chaudhuri`s `The Autobiography of an Unknown Indian`, Chauduri says Nirad continued to work for Sarat even after his arrest and it was only when Sarat`s wife Bibhabati Bose told him that his salary could not be paid that he joined the AIR only on March 19, 1942 and not a day before Sarat`s arrest as has been claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day