Nirmal Baba banned from Maha Kumbh
Allahabad: After allegations of fraud were levelled against him, self-styled godman Nirmal Baba now faces the prospect of being barred from taking part in the Maha Kumbh Mela scheduled to be held in Allahabad early next year.
Head priests of important temples from across the country have united to oppose the entry of ‘fraud’ Nirmaljeet Singh Narula alias Nirmal Baba at the Maha Kumbh, reports said on Monday.
The decision was taken during the two-day conference of Akhil Bhartiya Teerth Purohit Mahasabha held at Allahabad. The priests have also decided to boycott Nirmal Baba.
Going a step further, the Mahasabha – comprising of priests from 84 important religious shrines in the country - has also decided to approach Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding that all self-styled godmen be barred from taking part in the Kumbh.
The priests believe that gurus like Nirmal Baba do nothing but extort money in the name of religion.
FIR against Nirmal Baba
Yesterday, a FIR was lodged against Nirmal Baba under sections 417, 420 of Indian Penal Code in Forbesganj police station of Araria District in Bihar after Rakesh Singh, a devotee, submitted a written complaint against him. Singh accused him of forgery in the name of religion.
Nirmal Baba has been in the line of fire after several allegations of cheating and fraud surfaced against him.
He has been accused of amassing over Rs 100 crores in just three months. As per reports, Nirmal Baba at his congregations asks for 10 per cent of the salary from all those who visit him to seek solutions to their problems.
He also charges Rs 2,000 from every participant who wishes to be a part of his commune, `samagam`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing