Nirmal Baba booked for fraud, cheating
Lucknow: An FIR was registered against godman Nirmal Baba at Gomti Nagar police station here, following direction by a local court.
The case against Nirmal Baba has been registered under various Sections of the IPC, including 417, 419, 420 and 508.
He has been accused of cheating and fraud in the name of faith.
Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Rajesh Upadhyaya, while accepting an application moved by two children - Tanya Thakur and Aditya Thakur, had directed the Gomti Nagar police to lodge a case against Nirmal Baba.
The applicants alleged that Baba was fooling lakhs of people by creating fear of religion and his acts were promoting superstition.
The complainants had alleged that `darbars` or `samagams` (meetings) of Nirmal Baba were being held in different cities, including Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai, and these were being aired through various channels across the country.
They accused Nirmala Baba of cheating the poor and illiterate people who come with their problems in these meetings.
The petitioners alleged that a fee of Rs 2000 was being charged from every person attending the darbar.
The court in its order said that the submission made by the applicants regarding Nirmal Baba was surely against the scientific and logical thinking of humans and falls in the category of misleading the society, superstition and cheating.
The court said that allowing entry into `samagams` by depositing money directly into account and giving baseless and superstitions solutions amounts is not only cheating individual but the entire society and this act should be probed.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what