Nirmal Baba booked for fraud, cheating
Lucknow: An FIR was registered against godman Nirmal Baba at Gomti Nagar police station here, following direction by a local court.
The case against Nirmal Baba has been registered under various Sections of the IPC, including 417, 419, 420 and 508.
He has been accused of cheating and fraud in the name of faith.
Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Rajesh Upadhyaya, while accepting an application moved by two children - Tanya Thakur and Aditya Thakur, had directed the Gomti Nagar police to lodge a case against Nirmal Baba.
The applicants alleged that Baba was fooling lakhs of people by creating fear of religion and his acts were promoting superstition.
The complainants had alleged that `darbars` or `samagams` (meetings) of Nirmal Baba were being held in different cities, including Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai, and these were being aired through various channels across the country.
They accused Nirmala Baba of cheating the poor and illiterate people who come with their problems in these meetings.
The petitioners alleged that a fee of Rs 2000 was being charged from every person attending the darbar.
The court in its order said that the submission made by the applicants regarding Nirmal Baba was surely against the scientific and logical thinking of humans and falls in the category of misleading the society, superstition and cheating.
The court said that allowing entry into `samagams` by depositing money directly into account and giving baseless and superstitions solutions amounts is not only cheating individual but the entire society and this act should be probed.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video
- UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign after losing confidence vote
- Serena Williams, Andy Murray cruise at rain-lashed Wimbledon