Nirupama felt tremors in hotel room as quake hit Japan
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao,
who is in Tokyo for bilateral talks with the Japanese leaders,
experienced tremors in her 15th floor hotel room when the
7.1-magnitude quake hit the north-eastern coast of Japan.
"Last night`s tremor of 7.1 on Richter scale was an
experience. 15th floor hotel room shook and swayed. Admire
Japanese for their stoicism," Rao said on popular micro
blogging site Twitter.
Though the powerful earthquake jolted the Miyagi
prefecture, 118km north of Fukushima, the effect was felt as
far away as Tokyo yesterday.
The Foreign Secretary is in Japan to hold talks on
bilateral, regional and global issues with Vice Foreign
Minister Kenichiro Sasae, the Ministry of External Affairs had
She will also hold Foreign Office consultations with
Deputy Foreign Minister Koro Bessho, it said.
She also tweeted about her meeting with National
Disaster Relief Force member who told her of the team`s
experience in searching for tsunami victims in Miyagi
Prefecture. "Commendable work", she tweeted.
The fresh quake comes days after a powerful 9.0
magnitude earthquake hit Japan on March 11 killing nearly
30,000 people and damaging the atomic facility at Fukushima
that is presently the centre of the country`s worst nuclear
crisis since World War II.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read