Nirupama Rao discusses immigration reform with Senator Mendez
Washington: India`s Ambassador Nirupama Rao has flagged the concerns of the Indian companies with regard to the immigration reform in her meeting with a top american Senator here.
"Highlighting the rapidly growing trade and economic engagement between India and the United States, Rao conveyed her deep appreciation to Senator Menendez for his support for high-skilled immigration, an issue of significant interest for Indian businesses in the United States," the Indian Embassy spokesman M Sridharan, said in a statement yesterday.
In her meeting with Senator Robert Menendez, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on Tuesday, Rao also discussed the bilateral relationship with the US lawmaker who in his current capacity plays a key role in shaping the US foreign policy.
During the meeting, Rao and Menendez exchanged views on the latest developments in India-US relations and highlighted the shared values and interests binding their strategic partnership.
Menendez, the Democratic Senator from New Jersey, is also a member of the bipartisan group of eight Senators - called the gang of eight - who have tabled the comprehensive immigration reform bill in the Senate last week.
The two expressed appreciation for the strength provided to this partnership by the rich and vibrant contributions of the Indian American community in the United States.
Rao also exchanged views on the regional situation in South Asia and extended an invitation to Menendez to visit India, the press statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!