Nirupama Rao discusses immigration reform with Senator Mendez
Washington: India`s Ambassador Nirupama Rao has flagged the concerns of the Indian companies with regard to the immigration reform in her meeting with a top american Senator here.
"Highlighting the rapidly growing trade and economic engagement between India and the United States, Rao conveyed her deep appreciation to Senator Menendez for his support for high-skilled immigration, an issue of significant interest for Indian businesses in the United States," the Indian Embassy spokesman M Sridharan, said in a statement yesterday.
In her meeting with Senator Robert Menendez, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on Tuesday, Rao also discussed the bilateral relationship with the US lawmaker who in his current capacity plays a key role in shaping the US foreign policy.
During the meeting, Rao and Menendez exchanged views on the latest developments in India-US relations and highlighted the shared values and interests binding their strategic partnership.
Menendez, the Democratic Senator from New Jersey, is also a member of the bipartisan group of eight Senators - called the gang of eight - who have tabled the comprehensive immigration reform bill in the Senate last week.
The two expressed appreciation for the strength provided to this partnership by the rich and vibrant contributions of the Indian American community in the United States.
Rao also exchanged views on the regional situation in South Asia and extended an invitation to Menendez to visit India, the press statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing