Nirupama Rao to be next Indian envoy to US
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
has been appointed as the next Ambassador to the United
States, an assignment she will take up after superannuation
Sources said Rao`s appointment to succeed Meera Shankar
as the US Ambassador has been cleared by the government and a
formal announcement is expected soon.
The 1973-batch IFS officer assumed the office of the
Foreign Secretary on August one, 2009, becoming the second
woman to head the Indian Foreign Secretary after Chokila Iyer.
She was to retire in December last year at the age of 60
but was given an extension till July-end when the government
fixed a two-year term for the post of Foreign Secretary.
Rao has served in various key positions and had been
India`s envoy to various countries, including China and Sri
Lanka. She was also the Spokesperson in the External Affairs
She had earlier served in Washington as a junior
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city