Nirupama Rao to be next Indian envoy to US
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
has been appointed as the next Ambassador to the United
States, an assignment she will take up after superannuation
Sources said Rao`s appointment to succeed Meera Shankar
as the US Ambassador has been cleared by the government and a
formal announcement is expected soon.
The 1973-batch IFS officer assumed the office of the
Foreign Secretary on August one, 2009, becoming the second
woman to head the Indian Foreign Secretary after Chokila Iyer.
She was to retire in December last year at the age of 60
but was given an extension till July-end when the government
fixed a two-year term for the post of Foreign Secretary.
Rao has served in various key positions and had been
India`s envoy to various countries, including China and Sri
Lanka. She was also the Spokesperson in the External Affairs
She had earlier served in Washington as a junior
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali