Nirupama Rao to be next Indian envoy to US
New Delhi: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
has been appointed as the next Ambassador to the United
States, an assignment she will take up after superannuation
Sources said Rao`s appointment to succeed Meera Shankar
as the US Ambassador has been cleared by the government and a
formal announcement is expected soon.
The 1973-batch IFS officer assumed the office of the
Foreign Secretary on August one, 2009, becoming the second
woman to head the Indian Foreign Secretary after Chokila Iyer.
She was to retire in December last year at the age of 60
but was given an extension till July-end when the government
fixed a two-year term for the post of Foreign Secretary.
Rao has served in various key positions and had been
India`s envoy to various countries, including China and Sri
Lanka. She was also the Spokesperson in the External Affairs
She had earlier served in Washington as a junior
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie