Nirupama Rao visits Pashupatinath temple
Kathmandu: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
on Tuesday visited the famous Pashupatinath Temple here where two
Indian priests were beaten up by a group of Maoists a
Rao, who is on a two-day visit to Nepal, offered
prayers at the temple in the morning and met officials of the
Pashupati Area Development Trust.
However, Rao did not meet the two priests who were
attacked by Maoists.
"I came here to worship Pashupatinath to get his
blessings. I always come to Pashupatinath Temple whenever I
visit Kathmandu," she told reporters.
"I pray for his blessings and benedictions to shower
to the people of Nepal, with whom we share close ties of
friendship and partnership," she said.
Indian Ambassador Rakesh Sood and other senior
officials also accompanied Rao to the temple ahead of her
meeting with Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Pashupati Area Development Trust Member Secretary
Shushil Nahata and Treasurer Narottam Vaidya briefed Rao about
the latest situation in the temple.
On September four, a group of Maoists barged into the
temple and assaulted Girish Bhatta and Raghavendra Bhatta,
both 32 and hailing from Karnataka.
The Maoists were protesting against the recent
appointment of Indian priests.
Indian government had condemned the attack on the two
priests as an "unprovoked and criminal" act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi