Nirupama Rao visits Pashupatinath temple
Kathmandu: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
on Tuesday visited the famous Pashupatinath Temple here where two
Indian priests were beaten up by a group of Maoists a
Rao, who is on a two-day visit to Nepal, offered
prayers at the temple in the morning and met officials of the
Pashupati Area Development Trust.
However, Rao did not meet the two priests who were
attacked by Maoists.
"I came here to worship Pashupatinath to get his
blessings. I always come to Pashupatinath Temple whenever I
visit Kathmandu," she told reporters.
"I pray for his blessings and benedictions to shower
to the people of Nepal, with whom we share close ties of
friendship and partnership," she said.
Indian Ambassador Rakesh Sood and other senior
officials also accompanied Rao to the temple ahead of her
meeting with Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Pashupati Area Development Trust Member Secretary
Shushil Nahata and Treasurer Narottam Vaidya briefed Rao about
the latest situation in the temple.
On September four, a group of Maoists barged into the
temple and assaulted Girish Bhatta and Raghavendra Bhatta,
both 32 and hailing from Karnataka.
The Maoists were protesting against the recent
appointment of Indian priests.
Indian government had condemned the attack on the two
priests as an "unprovoked and criminal" act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared