Nirupama Rao visits Pashupatinath temple
Kathmandu: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao
on Tuesday visited the famous Pashupatinath Temple here where two
Indian priests were beaten up by a group of Maoists a
Rao, who is on a two-day visit to Nepal, offered
prayers at the temple in the morning and met officials of the
Pashupati Area Development Trust.
However, Rao did not meet the two priests who were
attacked by Maoists.
"I came here to worship Pashupatinath to get his
blessings. I always come to Pashupatinath Temple whenever I
visit Kathmandu," she told reporters.
"I pray for his blessings and benedictions to shower
to the people of Nepal, with whom we share close ties of
friendship and partnership," she said.
Indian Ambassador Rakesh Sood and other senior
officials also accompanied Rao to the temple ahead of her
meeting with Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal.
Pashupati Area Development Trust Member Secretary
Shushil Nahata and Treasurer Narottam Vaidya briefed Rao about
the latest situation in the temple.
On September four, a group of Maoists barged into the
temple and assaulted Girish Bhatta and Raghavendra Bhatta,
both 32 and hailing from Karnataka.
The Maoists were protesting against the recent
appointment of Indian priests.
Indian government had condemned the attack on the two
priests as an "unprovoked and criminal" act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof