Nitin Gadkari gets second term as BJP president
New Delhi: BJP`s National Council meeting here on Friday cleared the decks for a second consecutive term to Nitin Gadkari as party president after it gave a nod to the amendment in the party constitution.
The amendment to Section 21 of the Bharatiya Janata Party`s constitution says that any eligible member can hold the post of the president for two consecutive terms of three years each.
However, former BJP chief Venkaiah Naidu, who moved the amendment, clarified that this does not mean that the term of any president will automatically be extended for a second time.
He said this was only an enabling provision.
The amendment was adopted during the party`s National Executive meeting in Mumbai in May this year and was ratified by the national council here, said a party functionary.
Today, BJP National Council, which has 1,200 members, formally adopted the resolution after senior party leader Rajnath Singh proposed Gadkari`s name for second term.
Gadkari`s current term as president ends in December and his second tenure will continue till December 2015.
Sources said that Gadkari got a second term as the party`s ideologue, the RSS, was keen on another stint for him and the party contesting the 2014 general elections under his leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video