Nitish consulting JD(U) seniors over continuing ties with BJP
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has begun consultations with senior JD(U) leaders over continuing of ties with BJP after the anointment of Narendra Modi as its poll panel chief with a senior state minister claiming that the `days of ties` between the two NDA partners seem to be numbered.
"Days of JD(U) ties with BJP are numbered," a senior JD(U) minister, who participated in the consultation, told PTI on condition of anonymity.
JD(U) sources said the consultation will continue tonight as well and claimed that a `big announcement` (severing of ties with BJP over Narendra Modi anointment) is expected `any time`.
Kumar held talks with party president Sharad Yadav and other senior state JD(U) leaders till late last night weighing the pros and cons of remaining in the alliance.
He also held talks with senior ministers in his cabinet like Bijendra Yadav, Vijay Kumar Chaudhary, Narendra Singh, Brishen Patel, Shayam Rajak and Rajya Sabha member and a close confidante RCP Singh.
Some independent MLAs are also being contacted for mustering support to the government in the event of BJP exiting the Nitish Kumar government, the sources claimed.
Kumar had said yesterday that JD(U) will discuss all aspects of Modi`s anointment and will spell out its stand soon.
JD(U) has 118 MLAs in 243-member Bihar assembly and needs the support of only four more MLAs to reach the magic figure of 122.
The sources said the four-member CLP could also support the government in such a scenario. There are six independent MLAs in the house at present, BJP 91, RJD 22 and LJP and CPI one each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights