Nitish govt taking credit for central schemes: PM
Narpatganj (Bihar): Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh Saturday charged that Nitish Kumar-led NDA
government in Bihar has failed to fully implement
centrally-sponsored schemes but is taking credit for them.
The Bihar government had failed to implement the
Mahatama Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act
(MNREGA), besides the special scheme for minorities in the
state, Singh told an election meeting in Araria district.
"We have repeatedly tried to speed up the pace of
progress in Bihar in providing basic needs like electricity,
roads and good irrigation facilities. We started giving a
special annual package of Rs 1000 crore".
"... since 2004, till now, the Centre has given Rs
6000 crore and for 36 districts the Centre is giving special
assistance. These funds could have changed the face of the
state... power, roads, education could have been given to the
needy but the government has not fulfilled its duties."
He said there were instances where the central
assistance did reach the needy districts and people, but, in
such cases "the state government misled people by claiming
that the schemes were initiated by them".
"It is unfortunate to know that the state government
is taking credit for the schemes of the Central government and
their benefits are not reaching those intended," Singh told
the meeting here in this Muslim-dominated belt of Seemanchal.
Holding the past RJD governments and the current one
of Nitish Kumar responsible for Bihar`s plight, the Prime
Minister said the Congress led by Sonia Gandhi alone could
ensure all-round growth of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH