Nitish Katara murder: Sukhdev Pehalwan convicted
New Delhi: A Delhi sessions court on Wednesday convicted gangster Sukhdev Pehalwan for abducting and killing Nitish Katara in 2002.
According to reports, Pehalwan, who was present in the car when Katara was abducted in 2002, was found guilty of abduction, murder and attempting to destroy evidence related to the case.
The judgment was passed by Additional Sessions Judge JR Aryan, who last month reserved his ruling for today after prosecution and defence counsel concluded arguments.
The quantum of punishment for Pehalwan will be pronounced by the court tomorrow.
Pehalwan`s trial was separated from two convicts Vikas and Vishal Yadav as he could not be arrested.
The trial court in 2008 awarded rigorous life imprisonment to Vikas, son of Uttar Pradesh politician DP Yadav, and his cousin Vishal for their role in the murder of Katara, a business executive, for his proximity to their sister Bharti Yadav.
According to prosecution, Pehalwan was present with the accused in their car after they abducted Katara from a marriage function in Ghaziabad and killed him on the intervening night of Feb 16-17, 2002.
Pehalwan was declared a proclaimed offender before being arrested in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Vijay Mallya PMLA case: ED to invoke India-UK MLAT for extradition
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 1: RCB vs GL - Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- BJP govt cannot turn a blind eye to illegal immigration in Assam: RSS
- CBSE announces results of Central Teacher Eligibility Test
- PM Modi gifts Iran's Supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei reproduction of rare Quran manuscript