Nitish Kumar for self-regulation and not frisking of MPs
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday strongly condemned the pandemonium in Lok Sabha marked with use of pepper spray over introduction of Telangana bill and said solution to such a problem lies in self-regulation by people`s representatives and not frisking.
"It is highly condemnable. Words will fall short to criticise such an incident which is unprecedented in the history of Indian democracy," Kumar told reporters outside Bihar Legislative Assembly.
"Such a despicable act can`t be pardoned," he said while reacting to "members spraying chilly powder and brandishing knife to protest the bill."
Kumar, who had been member of Lok Sabha four times and thrice being Union Cabinet minister during NDA government of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, said there was a need for self-introspection by the people`s representatives so that such a situation was not repeated in future.
"Solution lies in self-regulation of behaviour by members and not intensification of frisking," the senior JD(U) leader said.
He said there was a need for everybody to sit and ponder over the incident to avoid its recurrence in future.
"Every member has a constitutional right to express ones views in Parliament or any other Legislative body... But it shall be within the laid down decorum and tradition," he said criticising exchange of angry words besides pushing and shoving by members over Telangana bill yesterday.
Asked about the need to tightening frisking of members in the two Houses of Bihar Legislature which began its week-long budget session today, Kumar answered in negative.
"Besides following necessary security drill there is no need for any additional steps...Members themselves are responsible to maintain the rich tradition," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!