Nitish Kumar hails SC order on convict lawmakers
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday hailed the Supreme Court order disqualifying MPs, MLAs and MLCs from contesting elections on conviction saying it would help reform the system.
"The SC order manifests people`s inner voice and will help bring reform in the system," Kumar told reporters.
"The order is good for the health of the country`s politics and democratic tradition," he said.
The Apex court gave its order after hearing all shades of opinion hence it should be put into practice immediately, the chief minister said before flying to Madhubani for a public rally.
The Supreme Court had yesterday struck down a provision in the electoral law that protects a convicted lawmaker from disqualification on the ground of pendency of appeal in higher courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3