Nitish Kumar hails SC order on convict lawmakers
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday hailed the Supreme Court order disqualifying MPs, MLAs and MLCs from contesting elections on conviction saying it would help reform the system.
"The SC order manifests people`s inner voice and will help bring reform in the system," Kumar told reporters.
"The order is good for the health of the country`s politics and democratic tradition," he said.
The Apex court gave its order after hearing all shades of opinion hence it should be put into practice immediately, the chief minister said before flying to Madhubani for a public rally.
The Supreme Court had yesterday struck down a provision in the electoral law that protects a convicted lawmaker from disqualification on the ground of pendency of appeal in higher courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley