Nitish Kumar supports appointment of new CBI chief
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday supported the appointment of a new CBI chief and made it clear that he had no objection to it.
This comes as another set back to the Bharatiya Janata Party, which had opposed the process of appointment of Ranjit Sinha as the new chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The BJP had sought the appointment to be kept on hold till the Lokpal Bill is passed. The bill provides for a collegium to pick the CBI chief.
Speaking to newspersons here, Nitish Kumar said: "We have no objection to the appointment of Ranjit Sinha as new CBI chief."
Nitish Kumar said if the central government had appointed a new CBI chief, it would be the right decision.
Nitish Kumar`s Janata Dal (United) party is a constituent of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance.
The BJP opposition to the appointment was conveyed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh three days ago in a joint letter by Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley.
The Prime Minister rejected the BJP`s demand to keep the new CBI chief`s appointment in abeyance until the Lokpal bill was passed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state