Nitish Kumar will be taught lesson for betraying BJP: Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau
Gandhinagar/Patna: Taking the turf battle to Bihar, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday attacked JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar saying those who "betrayed BJP" would not be forgiven.
"There is a 1974-like anti-Congress wave prevailing in the country now. The mandate of the people of Bihar was for NDA. Like then (in 1974), those who betrayed the people`s mandate in Bihar will be taught a lesson," Modi said without naming Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Speaking to some 1,500 party leaders and workers in Bihar over their mobile telephone through audio bridge technology, Modi said that people are angry with the JD(U) for ending alliance with the BJP.
It may been noted that Nitish quit the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) at the Centre after Modi was appointed as BJP`s 2014 elections campaign committee chief. JD(U) also snapped its alliance with the BJP in the state, where the two parties were ruling in coalition.
Bihar BJP president Mangal Pande told Modi that everyone was talking about the possibility of his becoming prime minister.
The chief minister laughed away the suggestion and said price rise was now emerging as a major issue and BJP workers should work hard to fight the Congress-led central government on this and other issues.
This is Modi`s first foray into Bihar politics, also seen as an opportunity for him to settle score with Nitish Kumar.
Addressing the party workers, Modi said the relations between Bihar and Gujarat are very old, adding he has celebrated Bihar Diwas in Surat and Ahmedabad.
"We (Bihar and Gujarat) are made for each other," Modi reportedly said, adding he took birth in a village with Buddhist connection.
Everyone can learn from each other as everyone has their own strengths, he noted further.
He also called for further strengthening the federal structure, saying laws made in Delhi should not be thrust upon states.
It may be noted that Modi had kept off from Bihar in 2009 Parliamentary Elections as well 2010 Assembly Elections.
The BJP has 12 Lok Sabha members from Bihar at present while its erstwhile partner JD(U) has 20. The RJD has 4, Congress 2 and as many others are Independent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know