Nitish seeks security audit along Indo-Nepal border
New Delhi: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish
Kumar on Monday said there is an urgent need for a security audit
along the state`s border with Nepal to check infiltration,
smuggling of narcotics and fake currency.
"We have a long 726 km porous border with Nepal. You
are very well aware of the political turmoil and recent
activities in that country. These give rise to serious and
genuine concerns," he said in his address at the Conference of
Chief Ministers on Internal Security chaired by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh in New Delhi.
"We have problems of illegal infiltration, smuggling
of narcotics, fake currency, human trafficking, criminal and
other activities. There is urgent need for a security audit
along our borders with Nepal," he said.
Kumar said there is a strong case for increasing the
number of border outposts for strengthening and fortification
of border outposts for quick building of border roads,
integrated check posts at the border and for joint survey of
international boundary by teams from both countries.
He also said that in the name of security "we should
not loose sight of human rights and civil rights."
Stressing that there should be maintenance of regular
flow of All India Service Officers from the states to the
Centre and vice-versa especially of the IPS officers, he said
otherwise there would be lopsided concentration on one side.
Outlining the initiatives taken by his government,
Kumar said they have initiated a scheme called "Apki Sarkar
Aapke Dwar" which is now being implemented in 63 panchayats of
seven extremists affected districts.
The scheme envisages expenditure on Indira Awas Yojna,
school buildings, rural roads, social security, welfare
schemes and scholarships among others.
He said the state has embarked upon ensuring speedy
trial of criminal cases. "In the last three and half years
(January 2006 to June 2009)...we have been fortunate in
getting conviction for 35,466 persons out of which 91 have
been sentenced to death and 6,765 for life imprisonment.
"In the last two and half years, 454 cases relating to
extremists activities were put on speedy trial and till now
110 convictions have taken place," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi