Nitish slams Congress over Central assistance claims
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
today accused top Congress leaders, including party chief
Sonia Gandhi, of misleading people by falsely claiming that
the Centre had increased financial assistance to the state.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, AICC General
Secretary Rahul Gandhi and union ministers went on claiming
the UPA government had increased central assistance to Bihar,
"I have questioned the claim in the past and am doing
so yet again seeking to know the quantum of additional funds
they have given to the state," he told reporters.
What the state had received from the Centre was its
due share from central taxes and the mandatory allocation of
funds by the Planning Commission and no additional funds, he
If the Congress had in mind the special assistance of
Rs 1,000 crore for Kosi flood relief in 2008, it was not a
favour of any form, the chief minister claimed.
Central assistance to the states have come down 23 per
cent during the UPA rule as compared to those made during Atal
Bihari Vajpayee`s NDA regime, he said.
Refuting another claim of the Congress that central
funds allocated to Bihar by the UPA were more than those
allocated by the Vajpayee government, Kumar said, "There is no
logic behind the claim. As the GDP has increased over the
years, it has led to rise in gross budgetary support at the
disposal of the Centre."
On Rahul Gandhi`s allegation of exodus of labourers
due to lack of jobs in the state, Kumar said there has been a
substantial check in such migration now because of a lot of
new employment opportunities were being created under various
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi