Nitish slams Congress over Central assistance claims
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
today accused top Congress leaders, including party chief
Sonia Gandhi, of misleading people by falsely claiming that
the Centre had increased financial assistance to the state.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, AICC General
Secretary Rahul Gandhi and union ministers went on claiming
the UPA government had increased central assistance to Bihar,
"I have questioned the claim in the past and am doing
so yet again seeking to know the quantum of additional funds
they have given to the state," he told reporters.
What the state had received from the Centre was its
due share from central taxes and the mandatory allocation of
funds by the Planning Commission and no additional funds, he
If the Congress had in mind the special assistance of
Rs 1,000 crore for Kosi flood relief in 2008, it was not a
favour of any form, the chief minister claimed.
Central assistance to the states have come down 23 per
cent during the UPA rule as compared to those made during Atal
Bihari Vajpayee`s NDA regime, he said.
Refuting another claim of the Congress that central
funds allocated to Bihar by the UPA were more than those
allocated by the Vajpayee government, Kumar said, "There is no
logic behind the claim. As the GDP has increased over the
years, it has led to rise in gross budgetary support at the
disposal of the Centre."
On Rahul Gandhi`s allegation of exodus of labourers
due to lack of jobs in the state, Kumar said there has been a
substantial check in such migration now because of a lot of
new employment opportunities were being created under various
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth