Nitish`s attack on Modi: Congress questions `silence` of Left, SP
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday latched on to Nitish Kumar`s attack on Narendra Modi to target the Left and the Samajwadi Party, accusing them of being silent on the issue of communalism.
"Why those who have been in the habit of issuing certificates of secularism to others have turned mum when Nitish Kumar has started the debate on the issue of secularism," senior party leader Mohan Prakash told reporters.
Prakash, who is in charge of party affairs in Gujarat and Maharashtra, recalled that the Left parties and the Samajwadi Party have always projected themselves as those in the vanguard of defending secularism.
In this context, "the silence of these parties on the issue of secularism is strange", he said, adding that this was especially so because the issue has been the crucial one since all Lok Sabha elections from 1991.
Noting that "democracy and secularism are two sides of the same coin", he said, therefore, a debate on the issue is a must for a thriving democracy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times