Nityananda files plea against impounding of passport
Bangalore: Self-styled godman Nityananda
Swami, arrested on criminal charges including rape, Monday filed an appeal with the Centre against impounding of his
Nityananda`s counsel Vivekananda Gupta said there were
only two FIRs lodged at the Bidadi police station and
impounding of passport on the basis of these FIRs was
"atrocious action by the passport officer (Bangalore)".
"If a passport is impounded on the basis of an FIR,
then 90 per cent of politicians, distinguished personalities
including industrialists and some cine actors will be
subjected to this atrocious action," said the appeal addressed
to the Joint Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs.
Gupta alleged that the passport had been impounded
"without any application of mind" and the passport officer had
also failed to give a personal hearing to Nityananda.
The godman landed in a controversy in March after
local TV channels aired purported video footage showing him in
a compromising position with a Tamil actress. He was arrested
from Solan in Himachal Pradesh on April 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof