No abnormal radioactivity release at Tarapur in 1973: NPCIL
New Delhi: NPCIL today contradicted media
reports that one of India`s first nuclear reactors at Tarapur
were almost shut down in September 1973 following abnormal
"The scrutiny of the operational history of these units
brings out that both the units of TAPS were operating at a
power level in the range 180-190 MW during the month of
September 1973, the period mentioned in the report," the
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) said in a
It said that the Unit-1 of the Tarapur Atomic Power
Station (TAPS) was shut down as per plans from September
11-21, 1973. A turbine trip in Unit-2 had led to shutdown for
a day on September 7-8.
"There was no incidence of abnormal radioactivity release
as reported during September 1973," the NPCIL statement said.
India`s nuclear operator said that in the incident of
May 1992, radioactivity released was only 0.2 per cent of the
On reports of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) study
finding high incidence of radioactive Iodine-129 in seaweeds
around Tarapur, NPCIL said there are no detectable quantities
of it in the effluents discharged from nuclear power plants.
However, Iodine-129 exists in nature in low
concentrations and seaweeds are known to concentrate Iodide
from the sea water to such an extent that the seaweeds are
used in manufacture of Iodine from these, the NPCIL said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly