No agreement with a party as long as it is with BJP: Congress
New Delhi: Even as JD-U kept BJP on tenterhooks on the issue of Narendra Modi, Congress on Thursday termed as "hypothetical" Nitish Kumar walking out of NDA and it aligning with his party.
Congress also dismissed the idea of a Federal Front floated by leaders like Kumar, Mamata Banerjee and Naveen Patnaik.
Responding to a question on whether Congress will ally with Kumar`s party if it parted ways from BJP, party spokesperson Shakeel Ahmed said, "This is hypothetical. We are as of today in mood to go it all alone. What will happen in future, nobody knows."
Appearing unimpressed by recent strain between BJP and JD(U), he quoted from Bollywood numbers to describe the relationship between the two allies as one of changing moods of a married woman who one day sings of going back to her parents home and the very next day vouching to live and die together.
"It is their internal matter. Today Nitish Kumar is with BJP. As long as any party is with BJP, there is no possibility of us going with them.
"There will not be any agreement in principle with a party as long as it is with the BJP," he said citing the example of JMM in Jharkhand with whom Congress refused to have any truck till it was with BJP.
Though Ahmed did not indicate any willingness on the part of Congress to do business with JD (U), Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath had yesterday said that Congress was "open" to all secular parties.
"Any secular party can be an ally... We are open to all secular parties... Now and in the future," he had said.
A senior party leader speaking on condition of anonymity felt that Kumar`s government will remain stable even if it walks out of the NDA as no party including Lalu Prasad`s RJD would like to vote in the Assembly with BJP to oust his government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof