No amnesty scheme for bringing back black money: Moily
Bangalore: The government on Friday said an
amnesty scheme for bringing back black money is not on the
cards though it is working on regulatory mechanisms to
eliminate its root cause in the face of "lots of legal
impediments" to target those funds stashed abroad.
Asked if there is a move for an amnesty scheme to bring
back black money, Union Corporate Affairs Minister M Veerappa
Moily said, "Whether the amnesty scheme will bring back the
money or it`s healthy for a country is a matter still under
There are methods such as double taxation and "many other
channels", he said.
"Now, we got back the money," he said without
"In fact, the present measures taken by the Finance
Minister is helping us (to have go at black money).
Ultimately, they (the measures) will also dissuade the black
money being augmented.
"Amnesty scheme is not the only answer," he said and
stressed that in practical terms, one has to eliminate the
root cause of black money, whose generation would have to be
He said the government is working on many systems,
including regulatory mechanisms to ensure that such money is
not only got back but they are not generated.
"We are towards that. Not exactly how we can get that
money back. There are legal impediments (to get the black
money back from overseas). Law of our country may not be in
consonance with some of the respective countries. So, getting
the money back is not an easy thing," Moily said.
"There are lots of legal impediments," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand