No anti-India activities from its soil, promises Myanmar
New Delhi: Myanmar will never allow its territory to be used by any insurgent group to act against India, President U Thein Sein assured visiting Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
The assurance was given to Kumar during a call-on meeting she had while leading a Parliamentary delegation to that country.
Myanmar has helped India deal with insurgency in the northeast by cracking down on safe havens on its side. The assurance assumed significance as several insurgent groups have shifted their base from Bangladesh to Myanmar for safe sanctuary.
India also sees as important Myanmar`s efforts to make peace with the ethnic rebel groups on its side of the border.
Kumar also met Chairperson of the National League for Democracy Aung San Suu Kyi and Speaker of Myanmar`s Upper House of Parliament U Khin Aung Myint and other leaders.
During her meeting with the President, she said the two countries enjoy special relations sharing civilisational ties in cultural, religious, spiritual and other areas.
"These ties were further strengthened in the present times by convergence of common values and aspirations," she said.
The President hoped the present visit of Indian Parliamentarians will contribute to strengthening relations not only between the two Parliaments but also towards bilateral relations between the two nations.
The delegation comprising MPs Maneka Gandhi, Bhakta Charan Das, Joseph Toppo and S Semmalai, besides Lok Sabha secretary general T K Viswanathan, will be in Myanmar till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days