No anti-India activities from its soil, promises Myanmar
New Delhi: Myanmar will never allow its territory to be used by any insurgent group to act against India, President U Thein Sein assured visiting Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
The assurance was given to Kumar during a call-on meeting she had while leading a Parliamentary delegation to that country.
Myanmar has helped India deal with insurgency in the northeast by cracking down on safe havens on its side. The assurance assumed significance as several insurgent groups have shifted their base from Bangladesh to Myanmar for safe sanctuary.
India also sees as important Myanmar`s efforts to make peace with the ethnic rebel groups on its side of the border.
Kumar also met Chairperson of the National League for Democracy Aung San Suu Kyi and Speaker of Myanmar`s Upper House of Parliament U Khin Aung Myint and other leaders.
During her meeting with the President, she said the two countries enjoy special relations sharing civilisational ties in cultural, religious, spiritual and other areas.
"These ties were further strengthened in the present times by convergence of common values and aspirations," she said.
The President hoped the present visit of Indian Parliamentarians will contribute to strengthening relations not only between the two Parliaments but also towards bilateral relations between the two nations.
The delegation comprising MPs Maneka Gandhi, Bhakta Charan Das, Joseph Toppo and S Semmalai, besides Lok Sabha secretary general T K Viswanathan, will be in Myanmar till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof