No anti-India activities from our soil: Myanmar
Nay Pyi Taw: Myanmar reassured India on Monday in its capital city here that its soil will not be allowed to be used for any insurgency movement against its South Asian neighbour.
The assurance came during a bilateral meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his host Myanmar President U. Thein Sein on the margins of the two-day BIMSTEC summit that began here Monday.
India shares a 1,643-km-long land boundary with Myanmar and an equally long water border with the Asian nation and has been uncomfortable over sanctuary to separatists afforded in the neighbouring country.
“The President (Sein) said our soil will not be allowed for people who are inimical to India’s interest,” India’s Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid said, after the meeting between the Indian and Myanmar’s top leadership.
He also said Myanmar being a country with which India shares borders with no disputes, the establishment here does not see the areas around the common borders as a priority area for large deployment of forces.
Khurshid also went on to spell out a host of issues in which India is helping Myanmar, including the USD 1-million assistance for people affected by the recent violence against a minority community in the country.
The reference apparently to the violence against the country’s long-prosecuted Rohingya Muslims, many of whom have taken refuge in India.
Manmohan Singh is here till Tuesday evening for the BIMSTEC Summit comprising the leaderships of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared