No attack on Rail Ministry: Chidambaram`s office
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram`s
office today clarified that his remarks on the Sainthia
railway accident were not a criticism of the Railway
A statement issued by his office said one of the
television channels was "mischievously" reporting the
minister`s statement as a criticism of the Railway Ministry.
Some Left parties also seem to have deliberately
misinterpreted the statement, it said adding "this statement
is being issued to clarify the matter".
The statement referred to Chidambaram`s speech at a
meeting of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
here this morning in which he had referred to the time taken
to despatch relief teams for rescue and relief operations
following Monday`s train accident.
Referring to the time taken by two of these teams to
reach the accident site, the Minister said ways must be found
to respond more quickly in case of a disaster. In that
context, he suggested that NDMA should examine whether it can
use helicopters and small aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone