No attack on Rail Ministry: Chidambaram`s office
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram`s
office today clarified that his remarks on the Sainthia
railway accident were not a criticism of the Railway
A statement issued by his office said one of the
television channels was "mischievously" reporting the
minister`s statement as a criticism of the Railway Ministry.
Some Left parties also seem to have deliberately
misinterpreted the statement, it said adding "this statement
is being issued to clarify the matter".
The statement referred to Chidambaram`s speech at a
meeting of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
here this morning in which he had referred to the time taken
to despatch relief teams for rescue and relief operations
following Monday`s train accident.
Referring to the time taken by two of these teams to
reach the accident site, the Minister said ways must be found
to respond more quickly in case of a disaster. In that
context, he suggested that NDMA should examine whether it can
use helicopters and small aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video