`No authentic figures on black money deposits`
New Delhi: As the tussle seeking disclosure
of names of people who have stashed black money abroad
continues in Supreme Court, the Finance Ministry says it has
"no authentic figures" about the quantum of money deposited in
The Ministry also said that certain "references" have
been received on the black money issue but declined to make
the information public since it will "impede the process of
investigation" as the case is being heard in the apex court.
"There are no authentic figures about the amount of
deposits held by Indian citizens in Swiss Banks, which are
exclusive of their lawful and legitimate deposits," the
Ministry said in reply to an RTI query.
"Certain references have been received on this issue on
which appropriate action is being taken. However, as
furnishing of information at this stage may impede the process
of investigation in the matter, the information sought is
exempt from disclosure under the provisions of Section 8 (1)
(h) of the RTI Act 2005," it said.
The applicant had asked the Ministry of Finance to give
information on the names of individuals/companies who have
deposited black money in Swiss banks along with the steps
taken by the government to check it.
"It is stated that efforts have been made from time to
time to seek details of the bank accounts held by Indians in
Swiss Confederation under the existing Double Taxation
Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Switzerland.
"However, the Swiss Federal Tax Administration has
expressed its inability to exchange the information regarding
bank deposits of Indian citizens as the information was not
necessary for the application of the DTAA between India and
Swiss Confederation but was required only for the enforcement
of India internal laws," the RTI reply said.
"They (Swiss Authorities) also replied that such
information was not at their disposal under Swiss Laws in the
normal course of tax administration," it added.
The Supreme Court hearing a petition yesterday slammed
the government for its inefficiency in dealing with the case
and focusing its probe only on Hasan Ali, owner of Pune-based
stud farm, accused of money laundering and largescale tax
"Was the Government sleeping all these years on the
issue of blackmoney," the court had asked while hearing a
petition filed by noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani and others
seeking direction to the government to bring back black money
stashed by Indian citizens in foreign banks which is believed
to be around USD one trillion.
Many NGOs and whistleblowers have complained to
authorities that Indian money worth several thousands crore
was illegally routed to many tax havens and urged government
to take strict measures to put a bar on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM