No bar on purchase of private land: Jairam Ramesh to industry
New Delhi: With the new Land Acquisition Act coming into force, government today sought to allay apprehension of the industry, saying there is no bar whatsoever on purchase of private land.
"You want land? Go buy the land," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said when asked about his message to private industry on a day the new law came into force.
Investors had expressed apprehension that the new law, which replaced over a century old act, would make land acquisition more expensive for industrial and infrastructure development.
Ramesh said that the new act applies only to the land acquired by central and state authorities for any public purpose.
He, however, said that there is no bar whatsoever, on purchase of private land.
According to him, industry must look beyond land acquisition by government and explore land purchase opportunities.
"From today onwards, no land can be acquired under 1894 Act. From today onwards, all land will be acquired under the new Act," the minister said asserting that the new law was enacted to address "widespread and historical injustices" done to tribals and farmers who were subjected to forceful displacement while acquiring land using the old Act and land acquisition more transparent.
Ramesh said from today, the government will not acquire any land for private investors for their private projects.
"A private builder building condominium cannot expect government to acquire the land. Why should government acquire land to a private builder to build country homes for the well-offs," he said.
The historic Act to provide just and fair compensation to farmers was passed by both Houses of Parliament last year with overwhelming majority during its Monsoon Session. It had received Presidential assent on September 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read