No CAG report on coal block allocation: Govt
New Delhi: Rubbishing Team Anna`s charges of irregularities in allocation of coal blocks when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh held the portfolio, government on Wednesday insisted that it was not aware of any report of the CAG on the basis of which the allegations were levelled.
A day after the Prime Minister offered to quit public life if allegations of corruption against him were proved, Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal insisted that the process of allocating coal blocks was conducted in a transparent manner in consultation with states.
Jaiswal termed the allegations of Team Anna against the Prime Minister as "unfortunate".
He said the government was not aware of any CAG report on allocation of coal blocks and the allegations by the Team Anna about losses of Rs 1.8 lakh crore were "unfounded" and "baseless."
The allocations between 1993 and 2009 were made in a transparent manner in consultations with the state governments and helped in the growth of power sector, he said.
He said Chief Secretary level officials from states participated in the process of coal blocks allocation and "not a single block was allocated after the Bill was passed in Rajya Sabha."
The Minister maintained that if the UPA government not allotted the coal blocks to private sector which helped in augmenting output and accelerating growth, the common masses would have been facing double the burden of the said losses assessed by the CAG.
His statement came a day after the Prime Minister strongly rebutted the allegations of corruption against him and offered to quit public life and face any punishment if charges were proved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17