No change in flag hoisting plan: BJP
Chandigarh: The BJP Tuesday asserted that
there was no change in its plan to hoist the tricolour at Lal
Chowk in Srinagar on Wednesday and said it was the government`s
duty to maintain law and order.
"There is no change in the plan. We are proceeding
ahead to unfurl the national flag at Lal Chowk tomorrow. It is
for the Central and the J&K government to see whether they
want to embolden the separatists by stopping us or let the
nationalism prevail," senior BJP leader and Punjab`s Local
Bodies Minister Manoranjan Kalia said on phone.
He said that hoisting the national flag was the
"fundamental right of every citizen and nobody can stop us
from exercising that right".
"The plea of the government that the (BJYM`s) Ekta
Yatra will disturb peace is unfounded. The Yatra is aimed to
promote brotherhood and nationalist feeling," he said.
Kalia said that Bharatiya Janta Yuva Morcha president
and Hamirpur MP Anurag Thakur will later today lead the Yatra
into Jammu from the Lakhanpur border.
The authorities have sealed the border with Punjab with
heavy deployment of police and paramilitary forces. Barbed
wire has been put up along the Ravi bridge at Madhopur to
prevent any movement of people from Punjab side into
He said despite prohibitory imposed at Lakhanpur
border, the BJYM Yatra will proceed from Madhopur in
Pathankot, which is located close to the Lakhanpur border.
Jammu is about 90 kms from Lakhanpur, while Lal Chowk
is nearly 390 kms from there.
"Senior BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley and
Ananth Kumar and Shanta Kumar are also camping at Pathankot.
They will accompany the Yatra," Kalia said.
Swaraj, Jaitley and Ananth Kumar were yesterday stopped
at Jammu airport ahead of the party`s march to Srinagar to
hoist the tricolour and later taken out of the state to
Madhopur in Punjab by road in separate vehicles by state
Meanwhile, a large number of BJP workers and leaders,
including Punjab Transport Minister Mohan Lal, Amritsar Lok
Sabha MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and Punjab BJP president Ashwani
Sharma are camping at Madhopur.
A large number of youth BJP activists from neighbouring
BJP-ruled Himachal Pradesh will also join the yatra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'